Six behaviours every dog should know
Dogs are eager to learn and can become bored, anxious, or stressed if they’re not mentally stimulated.
Below are six basic commands to teach your dog. Use these commands as a starting point, but know that ongoing lessons will make your dog feel happier, smarter and more connected to you.
- Sit – one of the easiest commands to teach. This helps your dog sit still and in one place.
- Come – the most important behaviour your dog can learn. Coming when called will keep him out of trouble, off guests and within your line of vision.
- Down – keeps the dog in a lying-down position.
- Off – used most during greetings, this command helps when guests visit or to keep your dog off the furniture.
- Stay – often used in conjunction with ‘sit’ or ‘down’, no matter what the distraction is.
- Walk– there are multiple interpretations of this, but in general, walking on a loose leash yields no pulling, tugging or stalling when you walk.